St. Francisville is home to some of the most historical and renowned locations in the south.
Afton Villa Gardens
Although a fire in 1963 destroyed the beautiful antebellum mansion, the gardens at Afton Villa are among the most famous and picturesque in the state. Beginning in 1972, Genevieve and Morrell Trimble undertook the task of restoring the grounds. Today the estate contains almost 35 acres of formal gardens and pleasure grounds, including the famous ruins gardens, a formal parterre garden, a daffodil valley, and a historic family cemetery.
This three-story Colonial structure built circa 1806 features West Indian influences.. The interior has been restored to the late Federal period reflecting its appearance in 1821 when John James Audubon came as tutor to Eliza Pirrie. Enchanted by the House's grounds and woods, he collected specimens and painted a number of his now famous bird studies. The home and surrounding 100 acres and numerous outbuildings are preserved as a state historic site by the Office of State Parks.
This raised cottage is on part of Alexander Stirling's 1795 Spanish land grant. Stirling and his wife Ann are buried in the cemetery near the house. Ann's sister Lucretia Pirrie and her daughter Eliza, pupil of John James Audubon, are also buried in the graveyard enclosed by a wrought iron fence. Stirling's original house burnt in 1840 and the present residence was constructed 60 years later by W.J. Fort, who called it Beechwood. It is now the private home of Mrs. Lawrence Smart, a descendant of Eliza Pirrie.
Always a work in progress, this family home began as a modest renovation of an existing tractor barn. The architect owner created a house that responds to the site, through its material palette, its orientation, and its plan. Over time this residence has grown into a roomy and bucolic family retreat set on rolling green pastures amongst 200 year old live oaks. It is the private home of Mr. and Mrs. David Treppendahl.
A cultural arts and reception center, Hemingbough takes advantage of the extraordinary scenic beauty of West Feliciana Parish. Conceived and developed by Arlin Dease, Hemingbough’s classic architecture and tranquil gardens provide an ideal setting for the Southern Garden Symposium
Organized March 15, 1827, Grace Church is the second oldest Episcopal church in Louisiana. The present structure, built in 1858-60, is a well-preserved brick building reminiscent of Gothic country churches which dot the English countryside. Its peaceful oak-shaded cemetery is filled with fine statuary and Victorian monuments of marble and stone
Built by Daniel and Martha Turnbull in 1834, Rosedown remains one of the most majestic properties in the area. The gardens are as grand as the home and were the province of Martha Turnbull throughout her life. The gardens grew out from the house over a span of several years, to cover approximately 28 acres. Currently, the planter’s home, historic gardens, 13 historic buildings and 371 remaining acres of Rosedown Plantation are preserved as a state historic site by the Office of State Parks.
When completed in 1903, Temple Sinai was called one of the community's "most attractive places of worship" and housed a once sizable Jewish congregation. Following its 2012 restoration, the building serves as a multipurpose, non-denominational space for events and programs. It is part of an ongoing project that includes the restoration of the adjacent Julius Freyhan High School building, erected in 1907.